Research and development work in the Structural Engineering Division is directed towards developing design and construction methods for safe, efficient and economical structures and enhancing the safety and life of existing structures. With a strength of 16 Structural Engineers (Scientists), 4 Technical Officers, 20 Technical Supporting Staff and 4 others, the Division is engaged in R&D in the areas of distressed buildings, heritage/monumental buildings, natural disaster mitigation with special reference to earthquakes, concrete technology, analysis and design of structures etc. The Division has also made significant contribution in drafting standards related to structural engineering for Bureau of Indian Standards.
- Non-destructive testing of RC structures.
- Investigation of distressed structures and suggesting remedial measures.
- Earthquake resistant measures for construction of buildings.
- Damage survey, categorisation, repair, strengthening and retrofitting measures for earthquake affected buildings.
- Vibration monitoring of plants and structures.
- System identification studies for buildings.
- Testing models and prototypes of buildings and structural elements to investigate their structural behaviour under static and dynamic loads.
- Design of high performance concrete.
- Service life prediction of RC structures.
- Finite element modelling and analysis of structures.
- Numerical modelling techniques for underground structures.
- Analysis & design of multistoreyed buildings and other structures.
- Analysis and design of steel structures including microwave and transmission line towers.
- Safety and reliability analysis of structures.
INFRASTRUCTURE& TESTING FACILITIES
The Division is equipped with facilities for testing under the four laboratories as mentioned below :
HEAVY TESTING LABORATORY
- Heavy duty test floor 8.5 m x 18.3 m size with testing frames of capacity 400 tons.
- Loading facilities upto 400 tons under static and 250 tons under dynamic condition.
- System for online measurement of strains and deformation including 60 channel digital data logger.
- 500 tons and 200 tons capacity Compression Testing Machines.
- 100 tons Universal Testing Machine for static and dynamic loading.
Structural Dynamics Laboratory
- Servo-hydraulic actuators (Capacity 10 tons & 50 tons).
- Lazan Oscillator.
- FFT Analyser
- Vibration Meters.
- Impact Echo system, IE-2.
- Corrosion Monitoring Instruments, CANIN & Multi Cell Surveyor.
- Ultrasonic Concrete Testers, TICO & PUNDIT.
- Schmidt Rebound Hammers, DIG 2 & L Type.
- Rebar Locator, PROFOMETER 4.
- Demac Mechanical Strain Gauge.
- Core Drilling Machine, CORE CASE & BOSCH.
- Crack Measuring Microscope.
- Digital Crack Measuring Gauge.
- Auto- Titrator.
- Chloride Permeability Apparatus.
- Concrete Permeability (water) Apparatus.
- Carbonation Chamber
- Set up for Accelerated Durability Tests
- Concrete Slicing Machine
- Guniting Machines (Wet & Dry Types)
SIGNIFICANT PROJECTS, COMPLETED
- Investigating distress and suggesting remedial measures for jetties of Bombay Port Trust, RC chimneys of HPCL, (Visakhapatnam) fertiliser factory structures of Zuari Agro-Chemicals (Goa) & NFL (Nayangal), structures of Sree Vindya Paper Mills, Auditorium of Lucknow University, Multistorey structure near Seacoast (Karwar), Structures of Ordinance factories and buildings of Bombay Port Trust Hospital, LNJP Hospital (Delhi), Old Secretariat, (Delhi) ISBT (Delhi), Sarvodaya School (Delhi), Himalayan Mountereering Institute, (Uttarkashi), Shopping Complex, (Shillong), Restaurant, (Surajkund), DDA flats etc.
- Investigating distress and suggesting remedial measures for monumental & historic buildings : Jagannath Temple (Puri), Sun Temple (Konark), Raj Bhawan (Goa), Raj Niwas (Delhi) etc.
- Investigation of fire damaged buildings of Hotel Siddarth (Delhi), PGI (Chandigarh), Trubogenerator foundation of NFL (Panipat), Turbine hall of Mathura Refineries, Ordinance Factory (Dehradun), Auditorium of NPL (Delhi) etc.
- Vibration monitoring of structures of BPCL (Mumbai), OIL (Dhuliajan), IOCL (Haldia) etc.
- Damage survey, categorisation and recommendations for repair, seismic strengthening and retrofitting of earthquake affected buildings at Uttarkashi, Marathwada, Garhwal, Bhuj, Ahmedabad, Junagarh, Gandhidham, Bhavnagar etc.
- A study of building component of Operation Blackboard Scheme.
- Study of behaviour of steel-concrete composite construction and Design Handbook for composite beams & columns.
- FE modelling & analysis of SAR Antenna for Space Application Centre, Ahmedabad.
- Planning and Design of Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidalayas (KGBVS) in Uttarakhand
- Sarv Shiksha Abhiyan Project – Quality Control, monitoring & Inspection of School Building of Uttarakhand State
- Estimation of Seismic Vulnerability of Buildings in a Hilly Town of Almora city
- Service life prediction of underground and above ground RC structures.
- Structural integrity assessment of 1/5th scale stainless steel models of a structure having complex geometry.
- Studies on utilisation of higher percentages of supplementary cementatious materials for durable concrete.
- Investigation of structural stability of a chemically distressed RC framed building.
- Analysis and design of a 35 m high lattice steel tower.
- Seismic microzonation and predicting damage scenario for selected areas of a vulnerable city
CBRI is involved in the following activities:
- Architectural planning and design of three models of KGBV
- Earthquake resistant structural design for seismic zone IV & V
- Site visit & advice for good quality at critical stages of construction work
- Lab / field testing of building components
For further details please contact:
Dr. A. K. Mittal
Structural Engineering Group
Phone : +91-1332-283464
Email : akmittal @ cbri.res.in
Website : www.cbri.res.in