To better understand Geo-Hazards and to contribute to risk management policies related to social and technical issues associated with geo-hazards as well as disaster mitigation, to disaster risk reduction for resilience and to enhance disaster preparedness for effective response and to Build Back Better in recovery, rehabilitation and reconstruction.
- Geological and Geotechnical Hazard Assessment
- Landslide Hazard, Vulnerability and Risk Assessment
- Landslide Early Warning System (LEWS): Ground based IoT-WSN system, Geo-integrated Rainfall Threshold based LEWS; UAV based LEWS
- Debris Flow run-out modelling and hazard assessment
- Design of Geo-hazards Mitigation Measures
- Ground Improvement Techniques
- Underground Infrastructures
- Engineering Geology & Geophysics
- Remote sensing (Digital Image Processing) & GIS Applications
Infrastructure / Facilities:
- Geotechnical Laboratory facilities for soil and debris material characterization
- Geophysical Equipments such as Eletrical Resistivity Imaging and MASW.
- Software Packages: RocScience, Itasca, Bentley Geotechnical, GeoSlope.
- 1-Dimensional Shake Table Facility
- Debris Flow Flume Test Set-up
Major Projects (Completed):
- Large scale geological-geotechnical mapping from Rudraprayag-Sonprayag & Sonprayag-Kedarnath road sector – Sponsored by DST, New Delhi.
- Safety of Vital Infrastructures against Landslides (SOVIAL) – CSIR Mission Mode Project.
- Development of Fast, Durable and Energy Efficient Mass Housing Scheme: Design and Strengthening Measures for Building Foundation Systems in Hilly Regions & Ground Improvement using Granular Pile Anchor Foundation (GPAF) System – CSIR Mission Mode Project.
- Engineering of Disaster Mitigation and Health Monitoring For Safe and Smart Built Environment (EDMISSIBLE): Engineering of Landslide Disaster Mitigation involving Hazard and Risk Assessment, Early Warning Instrumentation & comprehensive Geo-investigation and control measures for landslides in Chamoli-Joshimath region of Garhwal Himalaya – CSIR 12FYP Supra Institutional Network Project (SNIP).
- Geo-technical Investigation, Slope Stability Assessment and Remedial Measures for Tungnath Temple, Rudraprayag District, Uttarakhand – Uttarakhand Tourism Department, Dehradun.
- Instrumentation and Monitoring of Buildings and Reinforced Soil Structures at Greenfield Airport, Pakyong, Sikkim – Airport Authority of India, Ministry of Civil Aviation, New Delhi.
- Stability analysis and remedial measure design for landslide mitigation below Nagaland Legislative Assembly, Kohima-Thizama Road – NSDMA, Govt. Of Nagaland, Kohima.
- Investigation and design of remedial measures for slope protection at Holiday Home, Mussoorie (Uttarakhand) – Border Road Organisation (BRO)
Major Projects (Ongoing):
- Multi-temporal Optical Imaging Drone based Landslide Monitoring and Warning (EAGLE) – CSIR Niche Creating Project.
- Geotechnical Novel Solutions for Underground Infrastructures (GeNIUS) – CSIR Niche Creating Project.
- Evaluation and Design of low-cost ground instrumentation with Real-Time Monitoring for the Development of Landslide Early Warning system – National Mission on Himalayan Studies (NMHS) scheme of Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEF&CC).
- Rock mass characterization and numerical modelling of slopes subjected to blast loading – DTRL, Ministry of Defence, Delhi.
- Geo-Investigation, Stability Assessment and Remedial Measures for Gadora Village Landslide Area, Uttarakhand – NHIDCL, Ministry of Road Transportation & Highway (MoRTH), New Delhi.
- Instrumentation and Monitoring of Reinforced Soil Structure of Pakyong Airport, Sikkim – Airport Authority of India, Ministry of Civil Aviation, New Delhi.
- Geotechnical Ivestigations nd Monitoring at Victoria Memorial Hall, Kolkata
- Method for Strengthening Coal Pillars to Improve Underground Coal Recovery (Ajay Chourasia, Koushik Pandit and Jalaj Parashar) – 0156/NF/2018, dt. 15.10.2018.
- A pullout device for soil nails and anchors (M. Samanta, M. Sharma, S. Sarkar & A. Dwivedi) – Applied.
- An end openable anchor and its mechanism thereof (M. Samanta, A. Dwivedi, P. Punetha, M. Sharma, & S. Sarkar) – Applied
Helical anchors – Innovation, and Applications to Infrastructure Projects.